Sunday, February 1, 2015

Life learning and soul searching in Ethiopia

Life is full of moments and experiences that shape who you are. Everything I do affects the future of my own life and others, who I am as a person, and how I interact with the world around me. Although I have always known this fact, since starting on this journey in Ethiopia I have come to realize this fact of life even more. I have had a lot of time to look at my decisions, look at my environment and how I react to people and things, and look at how I have changed since living here. I have come to realize that I have learned a lot about myself and I have also changed through my circumstances and events in the past 7 months since living in my new home.

 I have learned to let go of my constant need to plan.
 I have learned to bite my tongue on things I see that I don’t agree with.
I have learned to smile when people ask me if I’m ok.
I have learned to let things roll off my back.
I have learned that sometimes the only cure to a bad day is wine and mac and cheese by yourself in your room.
I have learned that even though things aren’t always done the way you think is best, sometimes you can’t do anything about it and you might as well help out with the way it’s currently being done.
I have learned that no matter how bad of a day you are having, seeing a kid smile and run towards you to give you a hug, will make you a little happier.
I have learned that one of the best feelings is going to the post office and getting mail and/or packages.
I have learned that patience really is a virtue, but it’s one that can be impossible to attain.
I have learned that even though my students drive me crazy most of the time, I am fiercely protective over them.
I have learned that it’s incredibly frustrating for me when my students don’t do well on assignments or assessments, but that gives me more drive to make my teaching better to give them the education they deserve.
I have learned that I am actually very introverted and would rather stay in my room and read or watch TV shows than walk around sometimes.
I have learned that being able to talk, laugh, and be myself with my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers gets me through the hard days.
I have learned that no matter how much I try, it’s impossible to really explain life over here to people back home.
I have learned that I have a strong desire to help all my students find their true potential in education and in life, but there are so many boundaries to overcome.
I have learned that music is an escape even more necessary to me than back in the states.
I have learned that I still have a desire to learn and experience new things, even after all the hardships that sometimes come up.
I have learned that I am more capable of dealing with uncomfortable situations than I thought I ever would be.
I have learned that support from friends and family from back home has been more necessary than I ever thought it would be.
I have learned that sometimes the best friends you have in life aren’t people you have known longest, it’s the people willing to help you through everything.
I have learned that the most random and weird moments sometimes are the ones that make the best memories.
I have learned that over thinking things will make you begin to regret and question, and that it’s good to think about things but not OVER THINK and question yourself and your decisions.
I have learned that branching out to experience new food, new places, and meet new people can either be great or awful, but if you don’t try them, then you will never grow.
I have learned that everyone has a different story, and you have to learn that story before judging them.
I have learned that I have a travel bug that will not go away.

Since being in Ethiopia and Peace Corps, I have learned too many things to begin to list. I have learned that I am more flexible than I thought was possible. I have learned that I have the best family and friends in the world. I have learned that I have found my calling in teaching and traveling, and I have a newfound desire to jump into the unexpected. I do want a job and a family and a stable home at some point. But, since being over here I have realized how much of the world is out there and how much I still have yet to explore. I have learned that although I am very happy for my friends starting to settle down, that is not what I want yet. I have learned that although I am an introvert, I am someone who has the ability to change and adapt to situations. I have learned that although I do have to keep my mouth shut on a lot of issues, I do have the opportunity and desire to help people achieve what they deserve even with obstacles in the way. I have learned that although my friends and family have helped shape who I am, and although I have grown up a certain way, that I am ultimately the person who makes my life what it is. I have learned that I am me; in all my imperfections, and that I am finally ok with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment