Sunday, October 19, 2014

Marking A Month At Site

Today marks a month of me arriving in my new home. I can’t believe it’s been a month. In some ways it has felt like so much longer and in other ways it has felt like the blink of an eye. One thing is for sure though: I am in love with Adwa, and I am not just saying that to ease concern at home, I am very grateful to live here.

I now have 2 weeks of teaching under my belt. There have definitely been some challenges, but I am excited to see how I grow and how I help my students grow. I have 2 sections and I can already tell each one’s personalities, strengths, and weaknesses. One was very quiet, but they are starting to find their voice, one has always been vocal, and one is in the middle.

The first week I did a lot of introductory activities because not all the students were there, so I didn’t want to begin lessons yet. The second week I did more lessons, although a lot were still introductory and what I thought would be a bit of review. The most challenging thing so far has been getting all students in my class to participate. I have a few students in each class that are very eager to answer questions, which I am very glad for. But that tends to let the other students shrink into the background, so I am trying to even the playing field a little bit.

The biggest discussion topic in the teachers lounge with me is other teachers asking me to compare US students to Ethiopian students. I tell them that is not really possible to do, and that’s not just a line. I really can’t. The systems, access, and resources are so much different that it’s not fair to compare the 2 groups of students. English is a really difficult language for everyone, even those who grew up speaking it as their first language. I still have problems with it sometimes, and I tell them that to help them realize that they do have to try to learn it, no matter how difficult it may be.
The first few days I think I talked very quickly, because I was so nervous. In practicum they talked all about wait time and making sure you don’t talk the whole class. What I am realizing is that I need to work on that, because I have been filling silences with my voice. My students are finally getting used to my voice and how I run class with more interaction and participation, so they are beginning to answer more and quicker now, which I’m happy about.

Working in this system with so many uncertainties can be very difficult and challenging. I am used to structure, being told exactly what to do, and lots of follow through. There is not that much of that here, at least not compared to the US and their education system. I am enjoying the more freedom of it though. And being able to bounce lesson ideas off of my PCV friends around the country who are teaching the same types of lessons has been unbelievably helpful.

On Saturday I went to Sisters of Charity with Lauren. It’s a house for orphans, children whose parents can’t support them, and disabled children and adults. It’s so sad because they have no hands or resources. Most of these people need a lot of mental and physical help, but they are spread thin even though they try so hard. The babies are stuck in their cribs, the children are not disciplined, and the disabled are stuck sitting around. This is just an observation, and I think the sisters are doing an incredible job with what they are given. They try so hard and I applaud them.

Lauren and I came in and just painted their nails and played with them for an hour or two. It’s something really simple that we thought would be silly, but they absolutely loved it. It gave the workers a little bit of a break from some of the more needy children and adults and the people at the home absolutely loved it. We painted their nails bright blue, pink, and green. Those moments were the ones where I felt most fulfilled since being here. I could not have predicted that and it’s not technically part of Peace Corps or my job description, but that reminded me of why I’m here and why I want to help so many people.

I celebrated my first birthday not at home this past week. I got packages from my parents and I actually had to make 2 trips from the post office because they were so big. I thought my arms were going to fall off. Remember: If you want to send care packages (which I encourage), I have to carry them up a hill home, so try not to make them too big or heavy J I got them home and I had enough self restraint to wait a few days until my actual birthday. I’m so glad I did, because it was so much better than opening birthday presents at home.

I had to teach on my birthday, but I did a lesson on birthdays. They don’t really celebrate birthdays here, so it was hard to introduce the concept of how big we celebrate them in the US, but I combined it with “wh” questions that we had been working on the past few days before that. I taught them the Happy Birthday song, and 2 of my 3 sections sang it very loudly back to me. Let me tell you, nothing will make you smile more than 60 Ethiopian teenagers singing “Happy Birthday” to you very silly.
My site mate Lauren is absolutely fantastic. One of her friends (and my new friend) Ace ordered pizzas and beers for us and prepaid it at a new restaurant. So even though he was not able to make it to dinner, we got a free dinner. Lauren helped me open up my incredible care packages and then took me to dinner. Some Peace Corps workers were in town, because they are traveling around doing installation meetings for my group. We met up with them after for another dinner.

That brings me to my installation meeting. It’s basically where Peace Corps comes to town and talks to who you are working with about why you are there, what they expect of you, and what not to do. They came to school and talked to the teachers, all the students, and my sections about what I’m doing here, what I will be doing, and how they can help me. It was extremely helpful, because now teachers are finally talking to me in the teachers lounge, not just looking at me like I’m crazy. Ha.
I have been trying to hang out with Lauren as much as possible, because she is finishing up her service and goes back to the states in about a month. I have been meeting her friends to try and gain friendships here. So far my best friends in country are still people from my group. I love being so close geographically to 4 people and 2 of my best friends and I still text all the time. I have been meeting Jessie in Axum pretty regularly to talk about lesson plans and life.

I have been more social in the past few weeks and I am at that point where sometimes being social actually exhausts me. That never happened in the states, but here it can be tiring just talking to people—even those who speak English. I am so glad I got TV shows, movies, and books from people in my group. I have never been more grateful for buying a bigger hard drive. I finished Gilmore Girls and I’m watching Friends now. I haven’t been reading as much in the past few weeks, but I go on splurges with books. I finished my (I hate to admit this) first Jane Austen book. I know, I can’t believe Mansfield Park was my first book by her that I read before I watched the movie.

I have CDMA in my house, so I have been using that a lot. It’s crazy because everytime I get on my newsfeed is taken up by engagements, weddings, and babies. I know I am at that age where that is beginning to happen to people, but I can’t even think about what I’m doing in 2 years when I’m done with this, much less anything about the rest of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy for my friends and family that is happening to, but that’s just not for me and won’t be for awhile.


Although most people are telling me to live in the moment and remember this is my life, and trust me—I know that, some people are asking what I want to do after this. I know that my mind will change probably about 50 more times in the next 2 years, but right now I am thinking about applying to grad schools while over here and early COS’ing (a lot to explain right now) to go to grad school. I am looking at some of the Coverdell fellowship schools through Peace Corps and just looking around. I’m in the very beginning steps right now of this, and that may all change depending on how my service here goes.

People ask me how my service is going and how my life is right now and here is a broad answer: I still have to pinch myself to believe this is my life. I have had some difficult moments but I have also had some unbelievable ones as well. I have already made memories to last a lifetime and if I were to come home right now, I think people would say I have changed already. I am more willing to explore, try new things, meet new people, and have those crazy experiences that others only dream of. I have my moments of doubt and I know that the rest of the 23 months here will be filled with even more ups and downs, trials, bumps, and falls. But I also know that I am changing others lives as well as my own and that I am building so much more than I will ever see in my time here. Although being away from home, friends, family, and food is hard every day, I am so excited to see what else my life here holds and I am so grateful to have this opportunity.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment