Sunday, August 3, 2014

Happy Month Anniversary

     On Friday it was a month exactly since my journey in the Peace Corps began. On one hand it feels like I have been here for a year already, and on the other hand it feels like I just got here yesterday. Although my memories and experiences count up to a month, my feelings are split between time moving slower and quicker than at home.
     This week was pretty uneventful, so not much to report or talk about. We had a Peace Corps free Monday due to the end of Ramadan. My host father is Muslim, but he spent most of the day at the mosque, so I had a pretty free day to hang out and relax, which is something we rarely get to do anymore. We had meat for the first time since I have gotten here (well, at least at my house).
Getting onto food, I had a fresh mango from our fruit tree for the first time this week, and it was amazing. I also had a juice drink called a spritz. It was mango and avocado, which some people may think sounds disgusting, but it was like heaven it a glass- it was so good! I also found a pastry place yesterday with some fellow trainee’s that had chocolate donuts, so it’s been a good food week. Although, that still doesn’t make up for the variety of foods found in America. The fresh food and fruit definitely tastes better here though.
     I had my second week of practicum this week, but my first week of solo teaching. It is really great to get back into the classroom and to take charge of the classroom. My students are really fantastic, and so I have left the class with a smile on my face every day. We observe fellow trainee’s whenever we are not teaching, and from what I can tell Ethiopia is going to have some great teachers for the next 2 years. Every one of my fellow trainee’s is great with the kids, teaching the material well, and making the learning fun.
     We switch language groups starting tomorrow, so I will be with a new language teacher and Tomas. It’s pretty funny that the two New Mexicans are in the same language group—maybe it’s because we have to stick together. Actually, who knows. But, it will be a good match because neither of us are picking up the language as quickly as we would like to be.
     I got a card from my mom, which was a nice surprise. I don’t have a ton of time to send letters to people back home, but getting mail makes my whole week, if you would like to send me letters J
This coming week we have more practicum and language class and that is it. Next Sunday we have a treat and Peace Corps is taking us to Lake Lagano for a day trip, which should be lots of fun. The unit we are currently teaching in practicum is visiting places, and it has a lot of places to travel to in Ethiopia. I of course, want to go to all of them. Lake Lagano is one of the many places I can’t wait to see. I will try and take lots of pictures.


Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment